After visiting a soil free greenhouse growing tomatoes Lynn Raven reflected on the benefits of raising crops in a soil free environment. Here’s what she had to say….
We are so accustomed to the soil-free growing of food crops now that we are in danger of becoming blasé about it’s arrival on the scene as a new way to solve the world’s agricultural issues. The benefits to us all deserve a re-visit ….
- Many plants grow at least 50% bigger in soil free growing environments than conventional soil. They don’t waste energy growing root systems to search for nutrients …less plant stress.
- There is a 90% reduction in the water required to grow crops on the same size piece of ground, due to the ability to grow upwards in towers and to ensure only the amount of water that is needed is supplied to the plant .
- 4 times less land is required to grow the same amount of crops.
- A soil free growing area can be set up anywhere – in your living room, in the office, in a warehouse, in an old shipping container or outer space!
- Virtually eliminates the need for pesticides – better for the environment and for us.
- Reduces costs of growing food.
Wow …. now that’s how science makes a major contribution to solving the world’s problems!